A phone scam has made its way back into the area. The Craighead County Sheriff's Office received a report alleging the caller says he is from Medicare is offering "free" items along with a back brace, all you have to do is send him a money order for $19.95. This guy doesn't take no for an answer, and will start talking rough and threaten to stop your Medicare benefits.
- It's not free if you have to send someone money.
- Government agencies will not call you and offer free items.
- Never give personal information over the telephone.
- If you doubt the authenticity of the call, hang up. Call the office number listed in the White Pages.
- When a caller becomes belligerent, hang up!
If you have been a victim of a scam or have received any calls you believe are scams, call the Craighead County Sheriff's Office at 870-935-4551 or the Eastern District Office at 870-237-4511.